Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Small Wisdom

Today, I got a little unexpected wisdom.

I take a taekwondo class at OU, more for the physical outlet than anything else. On Monday, I sort of completely skipped class, and today my professor wanted to know why.

Teacher *in nearly impenetrable Korean accent*: We missed you in class on Monday, Megan. Where were you?

Me: Sorry sir. I got caught up in a conversation, and it went right through class.

Teacher: I see. Was it ... a very important conversation?

Me: ... well no, not really, but it was a very good conversation.

Teacher: Ah. Sometimes, that is all that matters.

And that was the end of it. It's always nice when people understand your reasons; it's even nicer when they understand them even better than you do.

2 comments:

Katie said...

that was nice that he understood. maybe because you were more honest with him than students have been in the past?

Mel Odom said...

As a father and a teacher, I have found that almost ANY answer is SO much better than the usual teen/early 20-something, "I don't know."