Tuesday, October 2, 2007

No (Dallas) Love

Thursday morning, I'm taking advantage of OU/TX weekend to fly home and see my family for a little bit. It'll be nice to catch up with my parents and vegg out at home for a few days. And watch the game, of course. No one knows how to berate the Longhorns quite like me and my dad.

However, I've got one big barrier between me and my family. The Dallas-Love airport.

Me and Dallas-Love don't get along so well. I'm jinxed whenever I'm in that place. Last time I flew through was May of this year, for my little brother's high school graduation (May 25th ... a day which will live ... in travel-infamy ...).

I think our plane landed at Dallas-Love a bit late at around 9:45 pm. Six hours later, I was still. Friggin. There. Our plane kept getting delayed, and delayed, and delayed, and through some loophole of the airline system they didn't have to buy us hotel rooms (or provide us with food, for that matter. All I got for dinner that night was a package of pizza-flavored Combos from the gift shop. Nasty).

Thank God I'd carried my bag on. Around 3 am, I gave up and changed into my pjs in the bathroom and tried to find a place to sleep. The benches were a no-go, unless I wanted to spoon with some creepy stranger guy (no. No. Doesn't matter how tired I am, no). The airport lounge was too far from our gate; if, by some fluke of fate, our plane did come in, I wouldn't be near enough to hear the announcement.

I ended up along the wall, using my robe and a dress as a blanket, my duffel as the most uselessly solid pillow EVER, and hugging my laptop bag to my chest so no one messed with me or my stuff while I slept. Not that I slept, mind you. The spirit was willing, but the flesh said "hell no. Not comfortable. Ask again later."

We finally got out of there around 5 or 6 am (about time, too; I was beginning to worry I'd miss seeing Alex graduate). I ended up sleeping all morning to make up for my long night on the airport floor. And then, a few days later on the return trip, I got stuck in Dallas-Love AGAIN. I'm amazed the PA system didn't go all horror-movie and start laughing maniacally at me. It really wouldn't have surprised me at that point, though.

So do me a favor, guys. Keep your fingers crossed for me and my next attempt to get through that airport. I've only got a few days at home, and I really don't want to waste any of that visit laying around Love again.

1 comment:

Allie said...

Why don't you fly through D/FW instead? Can't promise there won't be more creepy strangers to cuddle with, but at least then you can avoid Love. :)
And where is the Rock of Love finale review??