Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Traveler, Here Lies All-World


I am so excited! Last night, I submitted a new article to blogcritics. It was a class assignment - describe a place, any place. As enthused as I was about my new gunslinger poster, I decided to describe the Way Station from the first book of the series.

I had a lot of fun with it - I got to play with King's language and sentence structure, and I described the Station as if I'd brought someone there who'd never seen it before. I wrote it at a moment of suspended action, with the man in black and the gunslinger poised on the horizon.

It's part prose and part review, and I was proud of the end result, but it didn't seem like something they'd publish.

Well, they published it.

Not only that, the editor that published it suggested I write a whole series, one for each book!

This is a dream for me - out of all of King's works, the Dark Towers are the ones I turn to most often for comfort reading, and the ones that get into me the most. After reading them, I always catch myself speaking in the cadenced and archaic structure of his characters, especially in the later books. As much as I love this story and these characters, I can never write them. They don't belong to me. I can, however, take that love and use it to pull others readers into the story the way I was pulled in.

My first installment can be found here, and hopefully I'll have the others up a few days at a time. Depends on if the rest come to me as easily as this first one did. But please - read them, comment on them, and let me know what you think.

If I can attract even one new reader to this series, I'll consider these articles a success.

2 comments:

Katie said...

hey did you notice you made the front page with it?

Anonymous said...

quite interesting article. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you guys hear that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.